Magazines » Prototype Modeler - December 1978 » Page 17 Text View Magazine View

Page
of 68

December 1978 - Page 17


P ROTOTYPE MOD E L E R - DECEMB E R 1 978

17

TAB LE I (continued) P aint Scheme
B R R B R B B R R Rw B R R R B B R B B

O No.
441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459

BN No.
6188 6189 6190 6191 6192 6193 6194 6195 6196 6197 6198 6199 6200 6201 6202 6203 6204 6205 6206

Steam Generator

Rotary Beacon
x x

Notes

x x x x

x x

C&S No.
820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831-842 Paint Schemes: B B B B B R B B R B B R x x x x x
x x

1 1

1 1
., 'tl

x x x x

1 1

iii
... .t:

.S!' a:

Steam Generators: Rotary Beacon: Note 1:

B B lack carbody, grey roof, red and grey end stripes and red and yellow trim stripes, black chassis and trucks. R Red carbody, grey roof, white end and sill stripes, black underbody and trucks. Rw Red carbody, grey roof, white end stripes, all-white frame and access doors below wal kways, black underbody and trucks. Steam generator equipment is in the nose with water filler on the front u nderbody tank. Rotary beacon, "Cu llen" type, are used on units assigned to Nebraska after 1968. These units had the steam generators removed from the nose. The only evidence of the steam generator is the opening in the frame for the water filler ahead of the fuel filler valve.
= = =

Hal Wagner photo.

Figure 8 Grabirons and Railings (continuedl

used a mill attachment in a Unimat for this but it can be accomplished with some coarse files and patience. I felt the tanks lacked the bulk of the prototypes, so I built them up with lamin ated .020" styrene sheet and fixed them in place w i't h cyanoacrylate adhesive. . 010" styrene was used for the ends, being careful to leave a very slight flange around the tank. See Figure 6 for the placement of gauges and fillers on the tanks. These pieces were made from .015" styrene sheet and plastic sprue. A Details West fuel filler valve can also be used here. The Athearn tanks are okay for 300 and 800 series units. I made new tanks from plastic rod and styrene strips for my 400 series unit, since that was easier than filling and filing the back of the Athearn parts; see Figure 6 for piping. A bell

Added June 2, 2011 - Share
0 comments