Magazines » Model Railroading - May 2005 » Page 30 Text View Magazine View

Page
of 72

May 2005 - Page 30


Front view of model showing some of the added details prior to painting. made the appropriate changes to reflect an NYC version. Typically, the Proto 1000 (P1K) line of models come with molded-on handrails. I began by carefully removing this detail on the model. Since I was modeling a locomotive with an EMD prime mover I also removed the exhaust stacks. The horn was removed as well. Next I highlighted the frame around the windows of the cabs sides by brush-painting them Aluminum.. The Commonwealth cast-steel locomotive trucks have a brake cylinder mounted over each axle journal. The P1K model only has them mounted over the outboard axles. It appears the reason Life-Like made the trucks this way is because the sideframes are a bit too thick and having a cylinder over the center journal, particularly behind the cab ladder steps, would restrict the trucks swing motion, causing derailments on a curve. I found some suitable brake cylinders in my scrap box. I think Train Station Products made them. I also feel that brake cylinders from an Athearn Dash 9/AC4400 would work as well. To enable the model to operate without derailing, the mounting plate of the brake cylinder was removed. The brake cylinders were then mounted over the center journals in the appropriate orientation by studying photos of the prototype. I finished detailing the truck sideframes

Left rear view showing styrene strip added to recessed area of model. Note the third brake cylinder added over the center journal. by adding a speed recorder and an ATS (Automatic Train Stop) shoe to the front truck. The speed recorder was installed over the left front wheel journal, and the ATS shoe was installed on the right rear journal. A small piece of wire from the speed recorder drive was applied to the ATS shoe with CA. Details West (DW) makes the only ATS shoe of which Im aware. This part represents a style used primarily by the Santa Fe, but rather than fabricate my own I went with the DW part for convenience. Its close enough for my taste until another one comes out. The sideframes were then painted with Polly Scale Steam Power Black. Detailing the body shell was next. I fabricated two sheet metal patches from .005 styrene sheet and applied them to the area where the original exhaust stacks had been. By studying photos of re-engined Erie-Builts I determined the location for the exhaust stacks and applied the EMD non-turbo-style stacks in those locations. I applied grabirons with nut-bolt-washer (NBW) castings over the windshield. Ladder grabs with NBW castings were applied to the sides of the nose, and straight grabirons were applied at both sides on top of the pilot shroud. I used 14" grabs bent to make them represent dropstyle ones at the back of the body. A backup light was applied to the left side of the back of the body. MU hoses and air hoses were applied to the front and rear of the model. Filler pieces of .020 styrene sheet were cut and applied to the recessed areas on the sides at the back of the body. I made a small, square plate of .005 sheet styrene, which was applied at the top of the left rear recess filler piece. These replacement panels were painted black, and the lightning stripe was re-applied using a decal piece from Microscales NYC cab diesel set. The indicator decals for the No. 2 end were also used. Next was the air horn detailing. The horns on the NYC Erie-Builts had a long narrow tube ending in the flared bell. I wasnt able to find a detail part to match this style of horn so I scratch-bashed my own. The first version I fabricated was too fragile, and while I was showing the model in its construction phase to my friend, Dave Davis, he suggested an alternative method, which provided better strength. The air horns were made using horn detail pieces from an InterMountain F-unit kit. I used the mounting bracket for a single chime and the bells from this kit. The bells are the second largest size from the IM detail sprue. A hole was drilled into the face of the horn mounting bracket to accept a piece of small-diameter brass tubing. Once the tubing was mounted to the bracket, a piece of .015 brass wire was inserted into the brass tube to create a mounting pin for the bell. A hole was

Construction view showing modified horns and ATS shoe details.

30 MODEL RAILROADING

MAY 2005

Added December 2, 2010 - Share
0 comments